The goggle building has been going well. Hopefully you’ve been following Operation Steelpunk! and you’ve enjoyed watching them take their form.
I decided that I wanted the forks curved around to use them as hooks for the strap because I didn’t think they’d get enough tension otherwise. However, after I gave instructions to Dan, I began to think more about them looking like glasses and wanted them more to look like that.
Then just as I was about to get in touch to say to leave them in their proper shape, disaster struck!
I got a message from Dan saying that as he’d tried to curve the prongs of the fork, a prong off each one had snapped off. The forks were rendered useless.
We discussed our options and the possible variables of each outcome. Dan decided he was going to try and fix the situation by cutting down the rest of the prongs to match. I gave the go ahead as long as it didn’t look like we were desperately trying to sort out a mess. In the meantime, I said I’d get down to the local antiques shop and find some more. A day later, he agreed with me to look for more forks. It seems that the adjustments weren’t looking right.
I managed to find three forks that are identical to the originals and they have some lovely sculpting on the shaft as well as squared off prongs which is a little unusual in itself.
A bridge has been connected to each goggle in the centre using a piece of cutlery which has the Sheffield stamp on it, so now, the plan is to get the new forks attached and adjust the tension of them to grip to the hat without the need for a strap.