In video game news; Code Name: S.T.E.A.M is a turn based strategy game set in a fictional steampunk London. You play as Henry Fleming (from the book “The Red Badge of Courage“). You’re part of an elite team of fighters called S.T.E.A.M which stands for “Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace”.
The team was set up by Abraham Lincoln who is voiced by Enterprise D helmsman and Big Bang home wrecker Wil Wheaton. There are other playable characters from well known literature such as Tom Sawyer (Huckleberry Finn), Tiger Lily (Peter Pan) and the cast of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
Available on Nintendo 3DS, the game has received a rating of 70.89% on GameRankings and 71 from Metacritic. However, Polygon gave it a 3.5 out of 10 labelling it a “brutally misguided, horrifically dull debacle.”
Each level faces a new alien being and characters take it in turns to attack. Each attack uses steam which depletes throughout game play. As you defeat aliens, you gain medals which can be exchanged for goods such as weapons and health restoration. There are also hidden gears that allow you to upgrade weapons. The game is compatible with the Nintendo Amiibo system and allows you to play as Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin from the Fire Emblem series by scanning their corresponding figures
Here are a few features of the game from the developers:
- Experience a new, steampunk-inspired turn-based action strategy game from Intelligent Systems, the company behind classics like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem.
- Outflank and outshoot the enemy in a fully 3D battlefield. To defeat aliens, you have to take cover, set up ambushes and unleash crossfires and counter-attacks.
- An unexpected cast of characters leaps to life in stylized 3D graphics and comic-book-style cinematics.
- Harness the power of steam, which plays a vital role to power the world, including powering movement and weapon use. Managing steam reserves is key to strategy.
- Battle through alien-infested maps using a four-member team comprised of diverse characters that have unique abilities and weapons.